Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chapter 95

She pointed to the brick gateway as Richie drew closer and closed her eyes a moment. Home, goddamned she hated the place, so prim, so proper, so airless. As the car slowed into the turn she forced her eyes open and watched as the ivy covered brick came into view. The closer he got to the house the stiffer her back felt, the tenser each muscle got. She could feel the weight of their goddamned money and position starting to eat at her and weigh her down. Flicking a glance at Richie she could only wonder what he'd think of this old money air and the girl who couldn't care less about it.



Richie pulled up to the circular drive. The property was landscaped to near Country Club standards. Hell, he was pretty sure even the shrubs wouldn't dare grow out of formation. The colonial style house was elegant and traditional and everything screamed old money Connecticut.



He was just a poor kid from Jersey that had made good. Looking over at her stiff posture and clenched fingers he reached over. "Hey, Lains," he squeezed her hands gently. "This is going to be fine, darlin'. I promise I won't embarrass you," he said softly.



Her head turned as eyes went wide. "I'm not worried about you embarrassing me Pony. God, I'm worried they'll embarrass me."



"I've dealt with suits all my life. I don't understand them much, but I do understand how to talk the talk, thanks to watching Jonny. It pays to look like the dumb rock star when it suits me." He winked, "I hope they like me, but if they don't..." he leaned into her, letting his lips brush over hers in a soothing kiss. "Well, I know you love me and that's all that matters, right?"



She tilted her head closer, her lips feather light as she returned the kiss. "Forever and a day Pony. I promised ya."



"Okay then, let's do this." He swung out of the heavy muscle car and rounded the front of the car, opening the door for her. "You ready, darlin'?"



She placed her hand in his and managed a smile. "As ready as I'm gonna get big guy." She stood, her eyes centering on the front door as they began to walk forward and deep inside some small little demon chortled and prayed that Mother wouldn't be in.



Richie held a hand at her lower back as they climbed the handful of stairs that had to be original brick like the huge face of the house. Something told him that everything on this house was original.



Richie plucked a flower from the oversized potted plants that flanked the front door. The rich, purple bloom tangled in her flyaway hair as he tucked it behind her ear. "Relax, darlin'. I'm the one that should be nervy, you already know them."



She shook her head and rolled her eyes. He didn't get it yet, but he would soon. He'd understand why she was in New York, and why she was so vastly unlike them. Damn it had taken her years to force the docile upper class you'll drown if it rains attitude out of her entire being. "Yeah well, easier said than done honey."



Taking a deep breath she reached forward and pressed in on the doorbell. "Well here goes."



Richie linked their fingers, forcing himself not to look at her. She was ringing the doorbell at her own house? "I sure hope they're home. Wouldn't that be annoying if they weren't? Talk about embarrassing."



She cracked a grin and moved closer to him, her slender arm wrapping around his waist as she leaned in for his strength. "Yeah now that would be something."



The door finally swung open and as he'd suspected, the hinges didn't even dare to squeak. A...well, starched was the only word that came to mind he thought briefly, maid stood in the doorway.



Confusion, then alarm widened her sharp grey eyes. "Miss Elena, has something happened?"



Elena smiled brightly and shook her head. "No Martha, Nothing's wrong. I just came to see Father and Mother. Are they in?"



"The missus has just come back from a meeting. Mr. Masters is at work, of course." She curtsied quickly. "It's nice to see you Miss Elena." She closed the door after them. "She's in the main parlor."



Right of course, she always was this time of day. "Thank you Martha, I'll just show myself in." Clasping Richie's hand tightly she started off towards the main parlor. As she reached the doorway she stopped for a moment and took a deep breath.



"Oh good, Martha I need a ream of my...Oh, Elena." The woman stood, petite in stature much like her daughter. She'd let her hair go white and had it cut in a severe bobbed style that showcased all the angles to her face.



"Good afternoon Mother." Her voice was quiet as she watched her mother approach. "I hope you're doing well?" Elena inwardly winced as she automatically fell into old speech patterns.



"I'm doing well," Millicent walked forward and brushed an air kiss next to each cheek and rubbed her arm awkwardly. "I wish it was a regular visit," she glanced at Richie. "And who might you be?"



Richie looked down at his wife. Just how fast did they want to let it be known, that he was her husband?



Elena glanced from her mother to Richie and smiled. "Mother, this is Richie, Richie Sambora, My husband."



"I'm in no mood for your games, Elena!" Identical brown eyes met Richie's then her daughter’s as she folded her arms.



Elena grinned. "Who’s playing games Mother?" She held up her hand, her diamond engagement ring and wedding band sparkling outrageously in the sunlit room. "He's my husband. We married in Saint Martin, October 17th."



Millicent blinked up at her face and down at her hand. "But you were to be married with your Grandmother's ring," she said stubbornly.



"I like this one better Mother. It actually has emotion attached too it." Elena's eyes coolly studied the woman who had given birth to her and for once wished her mother would be more understanding than normal.



"Who are your parents, young man," Millicent asked, ignoring Elena's outburst.



Richie stepped forward, his hand still at his wife's waist. "Adam and Joan Sambora, from New Jersey, ma'am." A simple middle class family, Richie thought to himself.



"They are lovely people Mother, Very loving and accepting." Ok so it was a little white lie. Joan hadn't been too happy either, but that was more due to the fact they'd been surprised. After that she’d been accepting and loving, everything a mother should be.



Richie stepped forward. "I love your daughter, ma'am. It was a little impulsive to get married so quickly, but we wanted to make sure you folks knew as quickly as possible.



Elena's gaze flickered between husband and mother as she listened. This should be good, a true battle of the wits. He looked pretty unassuming, but her Richie had more brain power than her mom would give him credit for. She just knew it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn... why are the chapters always seem so short??? ;-))

Thank you for Stopping By

  © Blogger template Artsy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP