"Bossy," he muttered under his breath before allowing an honest grin to shine through. Damn, he liked a bossy woman. It usually meant she knew herself and her own mind. Question was, how to erase the bad impression? He wasn't sure yet, but she was a challenge, and he damn sure liked those too.
Richie pulled his eyes away from the little one. "Well go on; help her carry the drinks, stud. Maybe you can show her that you have good manners." He smiled back at the woman across from him. "Have pity on me, I'm trying not to call you a thousand cutesy names, throw me a bone here."
Elena grinned and tore off a piece of fried dough and lifted it too his lips. "Sorry no bone here cutie."
Richie leaned forward, very slowly, and nipped the fluff of sugary bread out of her fingers, making sure his teeth grazed her fingertip. "I love sugar," he said and chewed thoughtfully. "Fair food should be illegal," he said and swallowed, leaning in for more.
Elena closed her eyes, her throat suddenly completely dry as the barest touch of his teeth had her blood racing. Picking off another piece of dough she offered it up to him, "Illegal,” She agreed. “That's not the only thing at fairs that oughta be illegal."
Letting his eyebrows waggle, his tongue sought out the sugary powder that dusted the side of her finger before he took another bit that she offered. "All the good stuff is bad for you," he rumbled.
"Love included,” she said softly, trying hard to not leap into his lap. “Sounds a little like bad medicine.” She grinned, "But that’s what makes it all worthwhile right?" She reached over and brushed a bit of sugar from the corner of his lips.
He turned his mouth and caught the curious finger. Lifting his hand to bracelet her wrist, realizing again just how small she was. His fingers overlapped and he could feel the erratic beat of her pulse. "Love is like bad medicine? I like that." A riff exploded in his head as he started to hum. "You just have no idea what you did," he laughed.
Elena grinned, "What? I wiped a bit of sugar from those lips of yours, cutie pie."
"Richie," he said and didn't make a move to let her wrist go. "Say my name, darlin'."
She laughed softly, "Richhhhhhhhhie," she said drawing out his name with a grin.
Hell, maybe that wasn’t a good idea, he thought and nipped her wrist again.
~
Jon glanced at his friend, noting the gleam in his eyes as he headed over to the kiosk. Time to play gentleman, the way his mama taught him. He had to tread carefully or he’d end up with a black eye or something. Smiling as he reached her, "Hi, need some help?" he asked.
Kate turned with a less than sturdy cardboard box holding two beer bottles and two sodas. "I can do it," she said even as the soft drinks wobbled and beer sloshed over her fingers.
He reached up quickly and simply steadied the box. "I don't mind helping ya know?"
Unprepared for the zing of his touch, she yanked back her hand when his fingers brushed over hers. The box toppled and beer sloshed over the suede of his jacket. "Shit!" The man left her so unsettled. She squatted down and picked up the cups and broken glass.
Jon knelt quickly to help, wanting to see if the spark he felt was just a fluke. "Look we got off to a bad start. Let me try this again, ok?"
"Sugar, we're not starting anything over again." She stared down at the rivers of Michelob and Coke sliding away from them. His eyes were too intense. Looking into them was like seeing the heart of a flame, brilliant and so blue it hurt.
Not one to give up easily, Jon simply looked at her like a new challenge. "Maybe not, but I feel I owe it too you. So, hi, my name is Jon. I'd like to buy you and your friend a drink. How about it?" he asked with a crooked grin.
"I-" she curled her fingers into frustrated fists and sighed. "Look, Sugar, I don't know you from Adam. And while it's really flattering that you want to score points with the girl that's not interested, I just don't have the strength for that kind of game tonight."
He stood back up his gaze traveling to his friend and hers. He wasn’t going to force himself on her, that was for sure. "I’ll leave it to you to disappoint those two as we go about our separate ways,ok?" He turned to the clerk behind the counter and ordered three beers and a coke.
"Dirty, underhanded," she groused and stood up. "I'll take two and you take two," she said and refused the tray the girl tried to give Jon. "Look, I can behave if you can."
He grinned as he palmed the two drinks. "Sure thing sweetheart, but I'm still leaving it to you to break those two up. He's got that look in his eyes and I kinda like my head where it is."
She looked back at her friend. The way she had her head tilted up, a big ole sappy grin on her face…and well, she just couldn't burst that bubble. "Look, I'll stop snapping at you if you stop hitting on me and we can live in peace for the next little bit. How's that sound?"
He laughed softly, his blue eyes catching her gorgeous green gaze, "I'll try, but baby I can't promise. You’re fantasy and spice wrapped up real nice. Forgive a guy who AIN'T dead for appreciating it."
Did these lines work? She rolled her eyes. "Well, keep your fantasies to yourself and we'll do just fine."
Nodding, he almost sighed but caught himself. As he reached the table he plunked the beer down in front of Richie, keeping the cold coke for himself. "So how’s it going over here?"
"Thanks, bro," Richie said and took a deep draw off the top of the icy beer. He glanced at the soda cup in front of Jon and grinned, "Really well, even if she still won't give up her name." He turned pleading eyes on the intriguing girl before him. "I'll just end up calling you darlin' all night like I do all the other girls."
A fine eyebrow arched. "ALL the other girls?" Her eyes chilled, "Got a bunch of girlfriends, huh?"
Oh shit. He backpedaled, "I meet a lot of girls with my job, darlin'."
"Darrrrrrlin." Her voice drew the word out slow long and cold. You could almost feel the chill in the air as she turned her gaze to study the amusement park lights. Elena grew quiet after speaking. Damn if he’d get her name only for her to be another 'darlin'.
Kate stood up and took a healthy swig from her beer. "I think it's time for another ride,” she said, trying to cut the tension. Richie had obviously stepped in a nice cowpie.
Elena tipped back her beer, each swallow making her throat work in a timeless rhythm. Bolstered by liquid courage she stood quickly. "Yep time for another ride girlfriend.” She stepped around the table and stopped in front of Richie, grinning slowly before leaning forward. She pressed soft lips to his in a feather light touch. "I’m not just another darlin’,” she said on a hot whisper. “Might want to rethink that statement if you ever expect to get anywhere with a real woman." At his slack jawed reaction, she grinned and walked back to Kate. "Let’s go find us a ride."
Elena pulled her friend to a stop and whispered, "I can't do this girlfriend."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment