Monday, May 26, 2008

Chapter 11

Kate watched half in surprise, half in respect as Richie dressed down the little punk. The only thing was, Jon didn't look the least bit sorry about the bet. And she'd fallen right into his friggin' lap. She was just as much of a jerk as he was. "I'm sorry, Elena. I just knew you wouldn't and wanted to..." At a loss for words she held up her hands in surrender.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes when Elena completely ignored her, she watched Elena offer Richie a smile. Even from there, she could see the heat and promise when she reached up and pulled him down to her. Elena whispered something to him.

Richie pulled back, flicked his fingertips through a lock of hair that teased her cheek. "I do love a devious mind."

Kate frowned. That so wasn’t good.

Jon watched the tiny stick of a girl, amazed at how she took command of the situation. Well wasn’t this just fuckin' great? She'd turned his fun against him. He huffed slightly and watched as she whispered to his friend.

Elena grinned and turned to their friends. "This is how it goes, since you bet against us, we get to declare the winner, and the winner is us. For the rest of the night Richie will choose 10 people for Wannabe there to kiss, and I'll choose 10 for Kate, that’s right Wannabe her name is KATE, and then after you kiss those you'll kiss each other…GOT IT?"

"What?" Kate turned to her friend. "You've got to be kidding! I'm not kissing ten friggin' strangers!" Her voice went Deep South, with a near twang. And then it sunk in completely. “I am NOT kissing him!” She sputtered.

Jon glared at the little brunette that had Richie wrapped. "The name’s Jon and I’m not a wannabe lady."

Kate turned to Jon and shouted, "Shut the hell up! You got us into this in the first place!” She folded her arms over her breasts, then saw Jon's glittering gaze shift lower. “Oh for the love,” she growled, dropping them down to her sides again and curled her fingers into fists. How the hell could he check out her breasts now? Looking back at Elena and Richie she tried pleading her case again. "I didn't hurt you guys with the bet, just the jerk!"

Jon grinned back at Kate. The bet would be a piece of cake. He was used to kissing all sorts of women these days. It didn’t mean anything. The real fun was watching Kate sputter anyway. "I wasn’t the only swinging that cage, Katie. I recall YOU helping me."

"What did I tell you? Shut up! And stop smiling!" Where the hell was her calm? She could suture up a gunshot wound without flinching, but this guy. Ugh! "And don't call me Katie!"

He leaned closer and whispered into her ear, "You said you'd behave if I would. We got caught, we pay the price. I’m willing to go along with it. What’s a kiss?”

Kate fought the shiver that his voice caused. She turned to him, their noses barely an inch apart. "These lips aren't free, Sugar. I'm not kissing ten strangers plus you."

Elena's fine brow arched. "Play nice, Katydid. I can always choose to have you kiss HIM 10 times, hmmm plus another 10…That would be 20. Probably wouldn’t hurt you either.”

“Elena! I-“

Elena interrupted, “I know he’s just a wannabe rocker, with his fancy pants hair, but he’s not so hard on the eyes. The other ones,” She whistled. “I COULD choose pure dogs for ya."

"You wouldn't!" Kate gasped. Hell, it had been a long time since she’d even shared space with a man that wasn’t a colleague or a patient, but this wasn’t what she had in mind, dammit.

Jon's eyes blazed, he was tired of the little one constantly calling him a wannabe. "Listen Teensy, I’m not a wannabe anything, I’m damn good at what I do."

She nearly tripped on her own heel to get a step back from Jon. Well that certainly struck a chord, Kate thought.

Elena grinned at Kate. "Yes I would, and you know it Katydid."

Sighing, she let her shoulders slump. "Ten strangers then, I am NOT putting my lips on him more than once."


~

Elena grinned, "I'll choose the when and the where for that one too."

Richie stood behind Elena, her little body nearly vibrated with glee as she trapped her friend and his best friend into a non-negotiable deal. "Do you need a job? I think we could fire Doc and make her the manager slash negotiator for us," he said amiably; his anger dissipating at the little about face.

Elena's laughter tinkled out. "I’m graduating in a couple of months, and I’ll need a job. I'll think on it, Cutie Pie."

"Hell," Kate growled. "I definitely need a drink. Suddenly amusement parks are less than appealing," she groused.

Jon shot a pleading smile Richie’s way. "You’re not going along with this? I mean hell girls will line up to kiss me, but damn…YOU wouldn’t side against me bro?"

"You think you're so irresistible;" Kate said with a sneer. "Must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself."

"Facts are facts sweet Katie."

Knowing Elena’s friend was about to hit her boiling point, Richie laid a calming hand on Kate. "Don't worry darlin', I know just what buttons to push to make him just as miserable as you will be."

"You better pick dogs," Kate muttered and stalked off.

Elena looked over at Richie, a smile playing on her full lush lips. "So, Gorgeous, anyplace around here full of music, people and drinks?"

Richie grinned down at her. "I know the perfect place," he met Jon's eyes. "Stone Pony seems like it would fit the bill."

Jon’s smile slipped, "Not The Pony, man."

Elena cut a glance at Jon, a slight frown on her face, "I don't recall asking your highness' opinion. KATYDID come on, we're gonna go party!"

"I'll meet you at the car," Kate said over her shoulder. "I need to walk."


No comments:

Thank you for Stopping By

  © Blogger template Artsy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP