She moved along the aisles of the grocery store, her eyes sparkling as she familiarized herself with where everything is. Hell they had a house, A bonafide real home with rooms and .. well rooms. She shook her head, a slight laugh escaping her as she thought over the mostly empty rooms. She glanced down at the list and groaned; God he wanted the store, she should just rent a truck and take it all home with her. Chicken, steak, burgers, hot dogs just as a start on the meats, then there were the array of fresh vegetables, paper plates cups, ice and Jesus was that rock salt? When on earth did her northern rock star husband figure out how to make homemade ice cream? It was April for God sakes, why not just buy it out of a box? She glanced around hopelessly then grinned as she located the first of the many aisles she needed.
She rolled her eyes as she started loading the cart, Mr. Gourmet Griller had to stay home and wait on the phone and furniture truck, but not before reminding her for the tenth time to not forget this or that or the other thing. God you'd think she didn’t have the entire list in hand, written in his neat script. For that matter you’d think they were going to feed an army instead of five or six people
As she rolled the cart along the aisle, she started pulling all the different seasonings requested from the shelf, again biting back a groan. What was wrong with good old fashioned salt and pepper for God sakes? Southern seasoning, thyme, cardamom, rosemary, fuck that was a damn flower heaven sakes, made the trip into the cart as she contentedly thought over ideas of how to decorate the mostly empty house. Stopping for a moment, she felt her nerves twinge in a way she hadn’t felt in a week or two. Straightening she glanced left and right and saw nothing. Jesus Elena, get a fuckin’ grip. You’re nowhere near Bug-boy or anyone that even knows you.
As she reached for the next item she felt that same needle prick along her spine and looked around curiously. Shit, it felt just like someone was looking at her, but there was no one around. Peering over the tops of the shelves she couldn’t even see the top of anyone’s head. Shrugging she pushed the cart on down the aisle and continued collecting the items for her husband’s idea of a house warming party. God I gotta call Kate, maybe my head will escape the scalpel when she figures out why I'm calling, IF the phone is on when I get back.
As she reached for the olive oil she tensed again, her eyes shifting to the left quickly only to catch the barest glimpse of what appeared to be a short and dark haired figure zipping to the right. She made a full stop and took a deep breath. That made the third time in as many days that she'd caught a glimpse of that same type figure in some store she was in. God get a grip Elena, what are you marshmallow? It’s nothing. The island was nothing, your life is perfect. New home, great husband, quit manufacturing shit to be excited about. Life with Rich is exciting enough.
She moved along each aisle, collecting the enumerable items her husband had requested, every so often feeling that twinge that felt like needles or sharp pinches along her spine. She had to get this done, she had too. She’d be done soon enough. As she moved to make a turn into the next aisle the barely there lingering scent of something kinda sweet and oddly sickening accosted her nose. Ok now see what you did? You’re starting to smell it too? Get the fuck off of it girl.
But when a softly murmured grunt whispered over her ears from an aisle away she gave it up. A girl could only take so much, and even in the safety of this store, smells and sounds were too much to add to her burgeoning thoughts that something wasn’t quite right. It wasn’t just her fanciful imagination. There was someone, something out there and it was watching her. Regularly. OK we have enough, and if we didn't well fuck it, Richie can just come back with me, or alone for all that matters.
She hurriedly pushed her cart to the front and swiftly checked out, her skin going clammy as that right between the shoulder blades sensation of being stared daggers at continued. She nodded to the clerk and handed over her card, well ok Richie’s card that she’d managed to confiscate as her own, her eyes scanning the store worriedly. Who the fuck was in there? Who was watching? Shit she’d have to tell Richie, she couldn’t play it off anymore.
She walked from the store quickly, trying to smile and befriend the little stock clerk, more to hurry him along than anything. Slipping into the car, nervous fingers tapped against the steering wheel as the guy loaded the car. As the door slammed she pulled out swiftly and rushed home, her eyes looking in the mirror every few seconds worriedly. What if they follow me? What if they figure out where I live? Jesus what if its someone trying to get to Richie or Jon? The fear and worry started folding in on itself as she drove, her attention wavering from the road as she started to turn to the left instead of right. As the city limits hit and she saw trees and not houses she hit the brakes, the car squealing in protest. Well fuck she’d went the wrong way the first time since marrying Richie. As her nerves warred with her belly and it all became knots she glanced around to see if any cars were close before making a quick U-turn. She had to get home, before whoever was out there found her.
Richie flipped over the booklet for the new phone he'd bought. The telephone guy had come, but they gave you the standard ugly phone with the six foot cord. He stashed that in the closet as his mom had taught him. "At least one phone would work if the power went out." He could hear her voice now.
They didn't care about the sort you bought for yourself, especially if you had to program the damn thing to get it to work. "Star seven seven for setup," he read aloud. "Why?" he asked himself out loud as the phone beeped and a dial tone finally surfaced.
"Yes!"
He turned as bags rustled and clunked against the door. "Is that you babe?"
She pulled the bags in and shut the door leaning against it, her belly flipping and flopping like a fish out of water, her heart pounding nearly out of her rib cage. She'd felt eyes all the way home. Leaning against the door she forced a semi light tone into her voice, only to wince as her voice quavered slightly. "Dunno who that babe person is, just the grocery girl here."
He rushed forward, looping his fingers into the bags. "Why didn't you yell for me?" He curled the cordless into his palm and gathered most of the bags into his long fingered grasp.
Brown eyes rolled as he took all the bags and started for the kitchen. She murmured a soft "just trying to get inside as fast as possible," as she followed him into the kitchen. "Hope I didn't forget anything..."
He leaned in. "Don't you worry, I'll send you out if--" his grin faded. "You okay, darlin'?"
She watched as he dumped bags and phone on the counter then moved to him, her hands going around him. "Got a tiny bit spooked, nothing major, new town and all, but ..."
He smoothed his hand down her hair, kissing the top of her head. "Spooked how?" He pulled back, looking down at her. He kissed the frown line between her eyes. "Hey, tell me."
She rubbed her nose along his chest a moment and sighed, "It's probably really silly ok? Hell babe even I'll admit that, but the other day at the mall, I was talking to Kate and well she said it might not be and I should tell you... But see I thought it was just the past making me all silly and overly imaginative, but now.. I'm not so sure."
She wrapped her arms around him tighter, "It's just sometimes I feel like someone's watching me, I get that weird feeling between my shoulder blades, and sometimes I catch a glimpse of.." she swallowed hard against the bile that wanted to rise, "I see a glimpse of dark hair and funny clothes scurrying away... "
She tilted her head back, a rueful smile on her lips, "Hell I put it down to fanciful thinking, my brain working overtime cuz of the past.. but Katy thought it warranted telling ya.. Truth be told, after that night at the concert in the shower I forgot about it until it happened again at the store just now."
"Jesus, why didn't you tell me?" He cupped her face in his hands. "Even if it's nothing we need to be careful of that sort of thing, Lains. It could be the paparazzi or a crazy fan too." He kissed her lips. "You didn't need to be afraid all this time."
She sighed into the kiss before smiling, "Wasn't really afraid baby, honestly, it's just odd, it won't happen for a long time then boom suddenly for a few days it’s everywhere, but yeah I got worried when Katy made me realize it could be someone after one of you guys."
He shook his head and slid his hands down to her shoulders then her arms and finally to her hands shaking them a little. "Well, thank God for Kate." He leaned down, pressing his forehead to hers. "Love...there's a lot of crazies in this world. Doc's had to put a few dozen restraining orders out since we started the Slippery tour." He stood up again, lacing their fingers. "He doesn't talk to Jon about it too much. He's already afraid to walk into a lobby by himself. We don't want to be unattainable to our fans, but we are careful. That includes the wives, okay?"
Her brow arched as she pulled back a silly twist of a smirk on her lips. "Who’s hiding extra wives behind their back handsome?"
He grinned. "Sorry, Tico was married for a bit there too. But that was back in the early days...geeze, Runaway days, to be honest."
She pressed against him, her hands sliding along his spine. "Well we all can't be as lucky in love as you and Jon are these days."
He rubbed his chin over the top of her head. "No, that's for sure. I wonder how the kidnapping went actually. It's weird not to have talked to him for so long."
Elena tried and failed to hold back the snort, "Honey if Kate had her way I'm sure he'll arrive at the party sun burnt, exhausted and totally rested too."
"Maybe it will improve his attitude as well."
She leaned up and took the lobe of his ear between her teeth before sliding lips along his neck, "does it help yours?" She leaned back and smiled, the first week had been all about sleeping, catching up on all the rest he needed and about eating, she could tell he'd gained a few pounds, not enough yet but at least he didn't look half dead and emaciated like he did in Philly.
"Well, it always improves my attitude, IF I had one." He wrapped his arms around her. "I'm all about a good mood."
She brushed a finger over his lip gently. "Mr. Fix it. You know it’s ok to not be on all the time, especially with me? You don't have to always be the mediator baby, the go to guy. I'm your wife, let me be your go to girl, or you're gonna end up exploding one day. Did I mention I hate doing housework? Cleaning up exploding Richie is not on my list of fun ideas."
He dropped a quick kiss on her lips. "I know that, Lains. I'm just used to doing the fix it stuff. Jon holds so much in his head between Doc and the contracts, deals and what the record company expects. The least I can do is yank him out of his own way, even if he bites my hand sometimes."
She reached down for his hand, lifting it to her lips for a few brushes of her lip before nibbling. "I'll have to have a word with Mop Top, only I can bite the hand that feeds me."
"He might actually put you in the box if you go there, darlin'."
She twisted and bent, laughing as training kicked in and his large body shifted then fell to the floor her grin growing as he went oooph. She quickly straddled his waist and leaned forward to press a kiss to his lips, laughing at the shock in his eyes. "He can try to put me in a box, but I'm not without a few moves Darlin."
"Jesus, Lains!" He flattened himself and peered up at her. "I concede." He lifted his thighs and dumped her down where he could reach her. "Jon's no match for you."
She winked before another laugh escaped her. "Exactly baby." Now hand me that phone.. it does work right?"
He crossed his arms behind his head. "Ha-ha. Yes it works. I'm injured though." Doing a half sit up he spotted the phone hanging off the island in the kitchen. He pointed. "Just above your head, Kung Fu Princess."
She twisted slightly and reached up grabbing the phone. Studying it for a moment she flicked the talk button and dialed the number she'd committed to memory. As the phone rang she sank back to the floor and pillowed herself on Richie's chest grinning. "Good pillow."
His fingers slid under her shirt as the phone rang in her ear. "I prefer your pillows," he said and snapped her bra open.
She shivered as the phone rang, "Behave husband." Oh yeah that’s gonna work, he don’t know the meaning of the word.
She grinned as the phone clicked on, "Heyyy girl."
"Did someone die?" Kate asked as she stretched in her lounge chair. She and Jon were sitting outside in the sun as they did most mornings. Of course the slug was sleeping, but then again, she did keep him up most of the night. "You wouldn't be calling to tell me to behave on my vacation would you?" Kate heard through the phone.

1 comment:
Okay I wanna know what happens next with Richie and Elena, knowing Richie he'll come up with a way to sleep with his wife even though they don't have all their furniture yet. I know this story is about Richie and Jon and Katy and Elena but I am a Darksider, so I prefer the chapters about Richie and Elena. I can't wait until they all get to see Richie and Elena's house.
Post a Comment