A petite shoulder lifted as a cheeky grin slid onto her lips. "He complains I don’t shop enough, so I went shopping. Most of it is for him though." She laughed hysterically at the thought of the lacy things in half the bags. "Even the girlie stuff was bought with him in mind."
"Yeah, well my poor doctor's salary only lets me get away with half the sleazy underwear." She popped up and dug into her pocket. "Want anything?"
Elena shook her head as she dug through the bags, "Them fries sound good and a diet coke." She pulled a leather tote out and studied it intently. "I sure hope this works." She glanced up at Kate, her mind twisting as only Elena's could. "I need notebooks."
"Uh," Kate looked over her shoulder at the line in the food court. "Well, I'm sure there's a stationary store around here somewhere. It's a bloody fucking huge ass mall."
Elena grumbled lightly, "Yeah and I'm married to a man that writes every silly thought down." Her voice deepened into a feminine approximation of Richie's "Chord progressions are a hard thing, sometimes brilliance occurs and you just gotta write it down or you lose it."
She gave Kate a look. "He has a damn notebook that’s falling apart at the seams and if one piece of paper falls out it’s a catastrophe I tell ya."
"Well, then it sounds like he needs something leather and expandable. " Kate backed into line. "I saw a great engraving store that had leather stuff galore."
Elena jiggled the medium brown tote wickedly. "And that’s why I want more notebooks." Her smile widened, "But what can I engrave on it?"
"What else?" Kate turned back to the cashier and handed over her money for two sodas and a giant fry. Gathering her goodies she headed back to the table. "Pony, of course."
Her smile widened as she pictured the tasteful engraving above the flap. Reaching out she snagged her first fry and swirled it into the cheese before popping it into her mouth. "Sounds lovely, and damn that’s good,” she moaned as she took a bite of fry and cheese.
Dunking her own fry she washed down the molten hot orange cheese with a slurp of Diet Coke. "Of course now I'm going to have to get something for the pain in the ass too."
Elena watched as Kate's eyes lit up in concentration. No matter how her friend denied the love of shopping she was freakishly good at it. "So whatcha think would work for a walking carpet?? Lawn mower?? Super sharp shaver?? Weed eater?"
"Ha-ha, snot." She loaded up a super crispy one and chewed around the remarks exploding in her head. She liked her little furry beast, dammit. "I think I might get him a necklace."
Elena's head tilted a sneaky grin on her face. "He likes silk scarves too, the flashier and sparklier the better. Wears them to *absorb the sweat* he says."
"Yeah, but those scarves are too generic." She gnawed on her thumbnail. "I'm going to think about it. See what I find."
"You'll figure it out, you always do Katy." She glanced around the mall, enjoying the normal girl day. "Ya know this is the first time I haven’t been mobbed when out in public?? OF course I don’t have Moptop or Richie around to start the stampede. It's sorta nice." She turned back to Kate a wistful smile on her lips. "I've missed my girl days."
"Believe me, I feel you sweets. I'm always working then coming home to an empty apartment. It's hella lonely."
Elena's giggle rang out, "Hell I thought you'd be glad to have some quiet. He's not exactly the quiet type ya know."
"Who? Yours or mine?" Kate smirked. "Neither of them know what quiet means." She propped her head in her hand, dragging a soggy, cold fry into the last of the cheese. "I didn't think I'd miss him, but I do." She hated making the admission, but figured Elena was the only one she could talk to about it. Somehow it just couldn't be covered over the phone or in a letter.
She reached out and patted Kate's hand. "I'll keep your secret Tough Katy. He’s something huh? Almost as crazy as Richie, and about as nice too." She smiled over at her friend, who hated admitting to being soft. "Being a girl around him ain’t hard right?"
Kate looked up from her congealed mess and pushed the tray away. "Hell yes, it's hard. I'm no good at the romance department, you know that. Jon and his Slick Mic charm leaves me..." She sucked down a gulp of soda, "Out of sorts."
Elena leaned back and in that one instant couldn't resist. "Bout time you decided to be a girl. Just enjoy it Katydid, he's good for you."
"Yeah, so they say. I started watching MTv just to see him. Now if that isn't sad, I don't know what is."
Elena's brow quirked when Kate admitted to watching TV. She hated TV, said it was a waste of headspace. "Well, Jonny is pretty addictive."
She stuck out her tongue. "Hair Metal is highly amusing though. Some group called Whitesnake cracks me up. But then I get one of their videos at least every hour, so it makes up for it."
Elena chuckled. "Well they won’t release anything new until August hon, but then the videos might play a bit more."
"Oh hell, girl. They would give Jovi a blow job if they could. They are so living off Prayer and Bad Name in the rotations." Kate crossed her legs at the ankles. "Don't tell Jon that I drool over his poodle hair, though. I'll deny it."
Elena's brow's waggled, "I have too much fun threatening him with the barber shears,even offered to get a pair from his dad."
"Great, now he'll never cut it just to spite you. He really likes to stick it to you, Lains."
Elena leaned forward propping her head into her palms. "I've threatened to shave the chest too. I think he's scared of me now." She grinned at the mental pictures of the night he came off stage wringing in sweat, her laughter as she said bare chests gleamed better. "I swear I think he believed me."
"Careful, sweets. He keeps threatening to put you in a box and express ship you home. I'm not entirely sure you'd get air holes in your box."
Elena leaned back laughing. "Yeah I hear its gonna be a steel box with chains." She shook her head, "He don't mean it, he’s just pissy cuz you aren't there all the time."
"Man these seats are bruising my tail bone, let's walk off that fake cheese," she said and grabbed her meager bags compared to the dozen Elena was sporting. "Well, I have this crazy thing called a job. Silly really, not that important at all."
Elena stood and shifted bags until she could carry them easily. "Aww honey I didn't mean that, and well Jon admires that. I've heard him say how independence in a woman is just the biggest turn on. I think if you fell all over him he'd hate it. But he’s a guy, with needs and well...." her voice drawled off as they entered the leather and stationary store. "I think you get him going is all."
"Yeah, well he's 24, a soft breeze would get him going." She perused the shelves. Dinky little Secretary gifts were everywhere, graduations and Father's Day. "Hey, over here; there's some small engraving plates over here for the bag."
Elena sauntered over and studied the plates, then spied one with a few crystal sparklies surrounding the edges. "I’ll give you three guesses which one he would like."
"Hmm, what would a Gypsy like? The bronze one with no adornment, right?" she snorted.
Elena started to giggle. "I so should get that one."
"And watch his pretty face fall?" Kate grinned. "Nah, he'd probably pout for days."
Elena tilted her head and considered it for a few moments. "Well it’s not like he'd know we passed on the sparklies."
"Then I'd have to buy a sparkly one for Jon just to make sure he knew."

No comments:
Post a Comment