Kate settled herself on her new couch, flicked the power button on her remote for her new TV and settled back to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It was her first day off since they'd left. Richie and Jon had felt a little guilty and ended up going on a shopping spree for her apartment to make up for all the alone time she was going to have. She wasn't exactly happy that they wanted to shower gifts on her, but being a poor med student she didn't protest too hard when they bought the big screen TV.
She padded to the kitchen for popcorn as the phone rang.
~~~~
Elena leaned against the wall and watched the scurrying of massive amounts of bodies as final preparations for the concert went into place. Shit it took so many people just to get five guys on stage. She didn't believe Richie when he said it was a madhouse out there, but mad house was a mild description.
Sound check was interesting, shit they had so much stuff to do, it was nothing like the Stone Pony that night she and Kate met the guys. This was something totally different. She stepped over one more cable and made her way back to the dressing rooms and thought twice before stepping inside. She'd made that mistake earlier in the day and had caught a bit more of a view of the jackal’s backsides than she really ever wanted to see.
Shaking her head as she heard a roar she went back to her special spot set for her at side stage and watched as the guys swung into their first song, her eyes going wide at the pure energy pouring off them all. She glanced at the phone next to her and picked it up and began to dial. Kate just had to hear this.
"KATYDID!!! HEYYYYYYYYY!"
The scream of feedback and clash of guitars had her pulling the phone away from her ear. "Elena?" she shouted.
"Hey Girlfriend!" Elena shouted over the din of music and screams. "Mannnnnnnnnnnnnn how are ya?"
Kate looked down at her watch. "Are you at the show right now?"
Elena shook her head as Richie bent backwards, "Ahhuh, can't ya tell? DAMN he’s gonna break something Katydid!"
It was hard to make out her shouts over the screams from the crowd and Jon's voice. Pair Richie's guitar and the drums into all that and she just heard--well hello there...Jon's voice was crystal clear for a moment then Richie's booming Waaaaaaaanted. Dead or aliiiiive and the most beautiful guitar work she'd ever heard.
Coming back to herself she frowned. "Who's gonna break something?"
Elena laughed and fanned her face, "Richie, shit he's bent all backwards those lonnnnng legs of his all spread, guitar up, SHIT KATE you can see everything. Those girls on the front row.. damn.. I won’t tease him about those stage clothes EVER again. And sweat?? GIRLFRIEND,sweat shouldn’t be sexy but Jesus.. " She held the phone out and took a moment to just compose, seeing Richie doing what he did was doing weird things to her belly.
Kate laughed at the babbling. She could barely understand a word she was saying, but it must have been good. "I'm thinking he looks hot?"
She’d pulled the phone back just in time to catch what her friend said. "HOT?? HOT??? Dammit Kate they both look like their ready to set fire to the building. Jonny?? Oh my god. HOW does he breathe in those pants?? And that shirt?? Never seen it before but its all holy and damn just LISTEN to him!" She held the phone again and wished to hell she had a camera. She’d just have to buy one before the next show. Kate needed some photos of them live.
The guitar came screaming over the line, evening out as she got used to the cacophony of noise. The driving back beat thundered in her chest as if she was there.
She couldn't quite make out the words until the beat stopped. Raise your hands! When you wanna let it go...Raise your hands! When you wanna let your feelings show...Raise your hands! New York to Chicago...From New Jersey to Tokyo...
Then the crowd went mad and Jon's voice pitched to the rafters. Her blood sang as she caught her breath. Well if that didn't sound like a damn good time.
She pulled the phone back in again. "Its Nothing like the Stone Pony, Nothing, and there’s sooo many people that get them ready Kate. GOD.." Elena took a deep breath and whimpered over the phone line. "It’s gonna kill me for sure."
She could hear the breathless tone of her friend's voice. The excitement and the definite sex appeal. Poor Richie, she thought. He's going to get the ride of his life. Well, maybe not poor Richie for that matter.
She laughed at the next wild riff, "I Just had to call Katy, I miss ya I do but this is just ... You haven’t lived til your crammed on a bus with 5 men and assorted crew, who ALL to a man forget your a girl. And Jon can't be still KATE he’s all over the place. Girl you gotta SEE this just one time dammit."
Kate heard the excitement in her voice and felt a twinge of jealousy. It didn't seem quite fair when she had to bust her ass and Elena got to play. Normally her work ethic wasn't a problem. She knew she was more driven than Elena when it came to a career, but it was these moments that gave her a twinge. "I wish I could Sugar, but I used up all my time for the next few months when they came home."
"They'll be close by again, hell they go everywhere it seems." Elena heard the wistful tone in Kate's voice and felt bad she was here seeing it all when Kate couldn't. "It's not fair girlfriend I know, but I couldn't say no to him, hell to be honest I didn't wanna."
"I know honey, its okay. Its just one of those lonely nights. I'll be okay. You go enjoy Richie and the guys and tell Jon to give me a call if he can."
Elena chuckled, "I don't think I'll have to tell him, Every time I’ve caught a glimpse he's looked at the phone like it was a darned life boat. I got a feeling he won’t need to be told to call ya girl."
"Well it's nice to hear, but I know he's busy."
Her eyes moved back to the stage as she watched Richie. Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew there were others on the stage, but she had eyes only for her Pony, sweat soaked, fingers blistering over the strings Pony and felt her heart fall into her belly. "Umm Kate," she took a deep breath and tried to bring her brain back to the phone call, "I don't think he’s ever too busy to talk to you."
Feeling sorry for herself Kate put on a good face. "Thanks babes, go on...go listen and watch. I know Jon wants me to come out to one of the dates that are close by. I'll get there."
She started to speak just as one of the solos came up and Jon came dashing off stage. She grinned at him as he nearly dashed past only to stop beside Elena. She winked up at him and mouthed Kate only to have the phone ripped from her hands.
"HEY BABE!" He was breathless and didn't have but a moment, but he was gonna grab a chance to hear that voice.
Kate's grip tightened on the phone. "Jon?"
"I saw Teensy talking and I had to say hello to my pretty lady. Can't talk long gotta change and get back out there, but I'm thinking of ya Kate." Jon grinned and let the sound of her sweet drawl replenish his soul, if only for a minute or two.
"I miss you," she blurted out before she could stop herself.
"I Miss you too babe, Love you!" He handed the phone to Elena and darted into his quick change area.
"Kate? It’s me again girl." Elena giggled at the silence on the phone. "KATE?"
What did he say? Trying desperately to hold onto the phone she slid down the wall until her butt hit the cool linoleum. "Huh?"
Elena snorted, "You alive over there Katydid?" She shook her head, only Jon could make Kate speechless.
Just like that...no warning, no sweet moment just BAM! "Um, yeah. I gotta go," she said and fumbled the phone into the cradle. He probably hadn't meant it right?
He was just high on endorphins and adrenaline. It had to have been a mistake. He was on the same high as if they'd just had really good sex. Pillow talk, yeah. That's it. Pillow talk. Right?
"Mercy."

2 comments:
wohooo he said it! Kate you're in for a ride ;-)
Mercy is right Ms. Tre!
Post a Comment